Saturday 8 August 2009

Week 21 Weighin and Gastric Bypass Surgery Update

Weight: 257 lbs. (three lbs dropped)
This past week and next week I have to follow a strick diet in preparation for gastric bypass surgery - liquid protein drinks and a few plain veggies ONLY. The day before the surgery only clear liquids (broth, jello, water, crystal light) are allowed.

My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 6. I should be home the next day and once I feel better I plan on updating my progress and posting more information about gastric bypass surgery as I recover for the next four weeks and beyond as I continue the journey to health and improving my life.

On last week’s weighin post I got a comment scolding me for having gastric bypass surgery, the commentor was confused and implied I shouldn’t be having it. I decided to post my reply here in case there are others who feel the same way.

Here is my response: it may surprise you but yes I very well know all the basic diet guidelines that you speak of - however, NOT every one is the same and a LOT depends on age and health conditions - what applies to a 20 or 30 year old who has under 50 lbs to lose does not necessarily work for a person over 50 with a few health problems and over 150 lbs to lose. I appreciate your concern - however I do not need scolding or lecturing by any one - especially since I am under a doctor and nutritionists care.

Every doctor and nutritionist I have work with has reviewed my eating plan for the past few years and approved it - 800 caloires is just about right for me and it is also the suggested diet for any one who has gastric bypass surgery.

I’m not sure how much medical knowledge you have about congestive heart failure or other medical training - but my doctors and I KNOW how my body responds to too much fluid. One of the problems with having congestive heart failure is the body retains a huge amount of water and can not process fluids well - often requiring diuretics and watchfulness on how much fluid is taken in.

There is a lot more to weight loss then just what can be learned in a few diet books or gym training class. Not everyone can do the usual steps and have it work for them.

Also if you bothered to read earlier posts or checked out the weight summary page you would have seen that I started this journey with a weight over 300 lbs.

So I’m NOT having gastric bypass at 260 lbs - I was over 300 lbs and part of the requirements to have the surgery is to lose weight every single month for six months before the surgery. My starting weight and BMI was well over the acceptable limit and qualified me for the bypass surgery - but add to that my health problems and I was definitely a qualified candidate even at 260 lbs - because I am still morbidly obese.

The insurance company and the gastric bypass clinic I go to have very very strict guidelines for approval - I would not have been able to convince them to do the surgery unless I qualified.

I truly appreciate the support and concern of family, friends and my readers here. However, I hope that most understand that the decision to have gastric bypass surgery was made after years of consideration, a lot of rearch and soul searching. I made the decision to have the surgery in order to improve my health. I know some folks will never “approve” or understand - but my response to them is, I don’t need your approval or understanding - I need to do what is best for me and my life. Gastric bypass surgery is not the easy way out - it is a tool that can help, but all the work involved in losing over 150 lbs has to be done by me and me alone. To those who want to criticize, scold, or scorn - I suggest doing your homework first and learn about gastric bypass. Bottomline making the decision to have this surgery is a personal one and the only people who I feel I need to consult are my doctors and my immediate family.

I want to thank everyone for all the support and positive energy from my readers. I welcome questions and concerns and will be happy to answser them. However, I only ask that before you lecture or scold you take the time to realize that you do not know me personally, nor do you have access to my medical records. I apologize if this post sounds a bit harsh, that is not my intent. I simply want folks to understand that the decision to have gastric bypass surgery is the right one for me and it was not made on a whim, but was made after many, many years of informed deliberation with doctors and family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment